GlUTe ransomware is a data-encrypting malware and it belongs to “Xorist” ransomware family. Like the other variant of rasnomware from this group, it also silently locks the files and important data stored in the infected PC and they are no longer accessible for the users. It is a surprise for the victims when they notice a change in the appearance of their personal important file. For example, a file named as “personal.doc” will appear as “personal.doc.GIUTe”. When you try to access this encrypted file, a ransom note in a text file named as “HOW TO DECRYPT FILES.txt” suddenly pops up on the screen.
What Message Does “HOW TO DECRYPT FILES.txt” Provides?
This ransom note contains a big message which is written by this rasnomware developer and they want you to read it carefully. It informs about the file encryption and tries to convince you that using the decryption key is the only way to access the locked files again. You have to purchase this key from the developer. The price for the key is 0.07 BTC. By BTC, it means Bitcoin crypto-currency. This is a digital currency. When you convert the demanded bitcoin money at current conversion rate, it is around 670 USD. The cyber-criminals get a lot of benefits using digital currency and the most beneficial thing for them is that they don’t have to reveal their real identity for receiving the ransom money. This basically means that you won’t be able to do anything even if they scam you and don’t provide the promised decryption key after receiving the money.
The complete information about the use of Bitcoin and how to use them is informed to you through the web links present in the ransom note. The note also contains a unique victim ID for you and email IDs of the developers which is to be used for communication. You are asked to write to the email ID and inform about the successful payment. In return, you are alleged to get the decryption key and detailed information to decrypt the locked files. GlUTe ransomware is a complete data-encrypting malware and doesn’t have any bugs or flaws hence the files encrypted by it cannot be accessed directly without using the necessary decryption key. However, it is very difficult to get this key because even if you pay the ransom money, there is no guarantee of receiving the promised key. Most often, the victim gets scammed and cheated and lose their money as well as files. So, you should immediately remove the files and payloads associated with GlUTe ransomware from the PC so that it could not damage any further and other files and programs remain safe.
It is strongly recommended that you should never meet the cyber-criminals demands. You will get nothing in return and most likely, the money you pay will provide financial help to develop more of such harmful ransomware in future. This ransomware family is flourishing day-by-day because you get panic and fulfill their demands. You should immediately clean the work-station with the help of a powerful anti-malware tool. Once the PC gets cleaned, you can take measures to retrieve the locked files.
Ransom Message Encouraging Victims to Pay Ransom Money:
I am truly sorry to inform you that all your important files are crypted.
Atention! I do not offer for free the decrypt key’s, for that you have to pay 0.07 BITCOIN.
You can get bitcoin very easy on this site: www.localbitcoins.com
You have to create an account and to buy 0.07 BITCOIN from a seller located in your city.
Then you have to send the amount at this BTC adress: 14H6cX4YxDUFtkzgcrCuJ4yseoR2mkLiVU
After that, contact me at this email adress: [email protected]
With this subject: –
After the payment you will receive the key’s to decrypt your files and a tutorial
Here is another list where you can buy bitcoin:
How to recover files encrypted by GlUTe ransomware / .GlUTe file virus
It is very easy to retrieve the files locked by ransomware only when you have a proper backup files stored in some external storage device. Clean the ransomware and use the backup files to restore the encrypted file in its original location. However, it is also true that most of us don’t have backup of our important files in external storage device. In such case, you have to try your luck with a proper data recovery tool. With the help of powerful scanning algorithm and programing logics, it can retrieve the damaged and deleted files.
How GlUTe ransomware Get Inside the PC?
The cyber-criminals may use multiple tricks and ways to intrude the malware payloads. The most common of them are spam email campaigns, peer-to-peer file sharing networks, illegitimate downloads, Trojans, ads and unsafe hyperlinks pop-ups and so on. As a targeted victim, you will receive tons of emails in your inbox and each of them has some kind of mysterious and hidden attachments with them which actually is a ransomware payload. Using illegal applications especially cracking tools are monetized by downloading additional files silently. In the same way, fake updaters, downloaders etc. can download hidden malware along with the promised program.
It is clear that you must not open any suspected email especially if it contains any attachments or hyperlinks. Further, download any software only from a trusted source. Using advance or custom installation method will be very helpful in removing any hidden attachments. Don’t using any illegal activation for paid application. Activate or update the products only through its official channels. It is equally important to have a powerful anti-malware tool. It must have proper algorithm and programing logics and you should keep it up-to-date with its latest definition and security patches. In case if your work-station is already infected with GlUTe ransomware then it is recommended to scan with SpyHunter anti-malware tool to delete the infection automatically.
In order to remove GlUTe ransomware, follow any of the two steps:
- Remove GlUTe ransomware using “Safe Mode with Networking”
- Remove GlUTe ransomware using “System Restore”
Remove GlUTe ransomware using Safe Mode with Networking
Step 1: Restart the system in Safe Mode with Networking before you attempt to eliminate GlUTe ransomware.
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > Ok
- Wait till the computer becomes active
- After the Windows screen appear, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see Advanced Boot Options Window
- Select Safe Mode Networking from the list
Windows 10/Windows 8
- Press the Power button on Windows login screen and then press and hold Shift button on the keyboard
- Then, click on Restart
- Now, Select Troubleshoot> Advanced options> Start up settings and finally press Restart
- When computer becomes active, click Enable Safe Mode with Networking in startup settings Window
Step 2: Remove GlUTe ransomware
Login to the infected device, start the browser and download Spyhunter or other legit anti-virus program. Before performing system scan, update it and remove the malicious files belong to the ransomware and then complete the GlUTe ransomware removal.
If the ransomware has blocked the Safe Mode with Networking, try further method.
Remove GlUTe ransomware using System Restore
This feature offers the ability to restore the device to the previous state.
Step 1: Reboot the device with Safe Mode with Command Prompt
- Click Start> Shutdown > Restart >OK
- When system becomes active, press F8 button multiple times till Advanced Boot options Window appear
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10/Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen and then press and hold Shift button on the keyboard and click Restart
- Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings and finally press Restart
- Once the computer becomes active, select the Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup settings Window
Step 2: Restore the system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt Window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter
2. Now, type rstrui.exe and press Enter
3. In the opened Window, click “Next”
4. Select the zonal point that is prior the infiltration of GlUTe ransomware. After doing this, click “Next”
5. Now click yes to Start System restore
Once you restore the system to the previous data, download and scan the device some reputable antivirus tool such as Spyhunter to ensure that GlUTe ransomware removal is performed successfully.
You can use Windows Previous Version feature to restore the individual files that were affected. This method will be the effective one if the System Restore function was enabled on the compromised device.
Note that, some of the GlUTe ransomware variants are known to delete Shadow Volume Copies of the files, and therefore, this method is not the sure shot for the data recovery.
SpyHunter is an anti-malware tool that scans the device for searching and identifying malware attacks, block malware, adware, spyware and other potentially unwanted applications. Its scanning algorithm and programming logics are continually updated and therefore it tactics the latest malware infections as well.
More about Spyhunter
SpyHunter is a very advanced scanning architecture. It features multi layered system scanner that helps it on detecting old as well as new viruses. It provides an option to customize the scans as well. Its other helpful feature includes the cloud based capability for detecting highly advanced and sophisticated malware and providing complete protection from it. It also offers the feature of scanning the particular drivers or folders, previous scan log view, manage the quarantined objects and also pick that objects that you wish to be excluded from the future scan.
The antivirus tool especially focused son taking quick action on the newly detected threats. Its real time blocking capability helps you to prevent the attacks, downloads and installation of any kinds of kinds and removing most aggressive malware. It has special feature to perform system booting in customized environment and remediate malware at the lower level of the system. Most importantly, Spyhunter scans the cookies that are possibly representing privacy issues.
Instructions to Download and Install the latest Spyhunter 5
- You can simply download Sphunter from link given below.
- After the download, you will see SpyHunter-Installer.exe file on the browsers at the bottom-left corner. Double-click on it to open it:
- Confirm With “Yes” on the User Account Control
- Choose the Preferred language
- Click Continue to precede the installation steps
- Now the installation process will begin. Wait, till the process is completed. It takes a few minutes
- Once the process is completed, you will see a Finish Click on it to complete the process of installation of the application.
Steps to perform System Scan using SpyHunter
- After the application installation, the SpyHunter 5 anti-malware tool will launch automatically. However, if it does not, then locate the SpyHunter icon on the desktop or click Start > Programs > Select SpyHunter.
- On the application page, you will find home tab on the left top corner. Click on it and select Start Scan Now button. The antivirus tool will then start the scanning for threats and system vulnerabilities
- The scanning results will show system errors, vulnerabilities and malware found, if any
Note: To continue and perform the detected threats, you require full product. Below, the step-by-step instruction to register for the SpyHunter is provided for you:
How to Register for SpyHunter
On the top right corner of the program window, there is a Register option. Click on it and follow the instructions
- Once you have registered, you will be provided Username and Password. Click on the Account Tab of the settings section and enter the provided username and password. Thereafter, you can avail the full feature of the app for your computer
- SpyHunter will provide the scanning results in a category wise such as Malware, PUPs, Privacy, Vulnerabilities and Whitelisted objects -as you see below
- Select the objects that you would like to remove and click the Next button
The selected objects will go SpyHunter’s Quarantine and so you can easily restore it anytime through Restore feature.
- To locate any object
Go to Malware/PC Scan tab and click on Quarantine tab
In this section, select the checkbox at the left of the object and click on the Restore button
- To perform removal of an object
Just select the object on the checkbox at the left displayed in the Malware PUPs or Privacy tabs. This allows you select and deselect all objects displayed on specific tab.
Steps to restore individual files
To restore a file, right click over it, go into the properties and select the previous version tab. If this file has the Restore Point, select it and click on Restore button
You should boot your device using a rescue disk, in case you are not able to start your device in Safe Mode with Networking (or with Command Prompt). For this you require access to another computer.
To gain control over the GlUTe ransomware encrypted files, you can use a program called Shadow Explorer.
More on Shadow Explorer application
After installing this application, you will see the shortcut of it to the desktop in the start menu. Running this app does not require administrative privileges from version 0.5. But in certain circumstances, it can be helpful to run ShadowExplorer with elevated privileges -using right click, run as administrator.
- When you install the app as administrator, first thing you see is the user account control screen requesting administrator privileges
- This is the picture of the app when everything works correctly
- From the drop down list, select one of the available point in the time Shadow Copies
- You can export any file or folder by a right click on it
- Then, choose a folder where you want those files from t he Shadow Copy are saved to
- The image shows the status of the retrieval process
- The app may ask for your confirmation before overwriting in case if a file or folder in the destination directly already exists. Click on Do not show this dialog box, after this it won’t be shown ever again
- You will be given an reset the previous decision as well in the settings dialog
Important discussion: Now, you are familiar with ransomware and its impact on the infected PC. What we mean to say that the ransomware viruses are said to be deadly threats. And therefore, better for you to take adequate protection to avoid the attacks on your work station. For safety, you should use some reputable antivirus suite like Spyhunter that artificially implants the group policy objects into the registry to block rogue apps like GlUTe ransomware.
Note that in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, you will get a unique feature called Controlled Folder Access that blocks ransomware attempts to encrypt the crucial files like Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music, Favorites and Desktop folders.
Thus, Windows 10 users should take this privilege and must install the update to protect their data ransomware attacks. To know more on how to get this update and add an additional protection layer from ransomware infection, click here.
How to recover the data encrypted by GlUTe ransomware?
We have already discussed two important data recovery methods, i.e., the System Restore and Shadow Volume Copies. Hope so, these methods work in your case. However, if these options are not enough for you for the data recovery, you need to switch to another data recovery option that is use the data recovery tool. Such tools work on the basis of system scanning and recovery algorithm. They operate by searching the partitions to locate the original files (deleted, corrupted or damaged by the malware). Before using this option, certain things you should keep in mind:
- Do not re-install the Windows OS -this leads the previous copies permanently deleted
- Clean the work station from GlUTe ransomware infection
- Leave the files as they are
Follow these instructions:
- Download the data recovery software in the Work-station from the link below
- Execute the installer by clicking on the downloaded files
3. You will see a license agreement page on the screen, click on Accept button to agree its terms to use and then follow the on-screen instruction and then click on Finish button
4. The programs executes automatically after the install. You just select the file types that you want to recover and click on the “Next” button
5. Select the drive on which you want the software to run, execute the recovery process and click on scan button
6. The restoration process begins soon you select the file types for scanning. The process may take times depending on the selected drive and number of files. Once this process gets completed, a preview for the data that are to be recovered appears on a data explorer screen. Here, select the files you want to restore.
7. After this, locate the locations where you want to save the recovered files