Koti Ransomware is a new variant from “STOP Rasnomware” family. It has all the nasty features like its processor and can do much more chaos to your work-station. It can now encrypt more types of files as compared to the previous version and is quicker to scan the PC in search of files to encrypt. It uses a very powerful encryption algorithm cipher which is impossible to decode. Every infected file gets a .koti extension name as suffix. Any file with this extension is inaccessible and it triggers ransom note asking you to pay money for decryption key whenever you try to access any locked files. The ransom note is delivered in a text file named as “_readme.txt”.
The intrusion of payloads and scripts related to Koti Ransomware is very silent. It often gets too late when you notice .koti file virus in the work-station. By this time, most your important files including images, videos, MS Office docs, PDF files etc. get encrypted and you cannot access them any further. At the beginning, it executes a doubtful .exe file in order to settle down and then delete that file later. It tries to settle down in a deep location so that it can deceive the PC security and firewalls and bypass them. Soon the encryption process begins and you would notice many of the important files get appended with an additional .koti extension as suffix. For example, if an image file named as “myimage.jpg” gets infected, its name gets changed to “myimage.jpg.koti”. As mentioned earlier, it leaves a ransom note that demands and forces the victims to pay money for decoder key.
More Analysis on Koti Ransomware
As alleged by the associated cyber-criminals, the only way to access the locked files is to use the decryption key. You are provided with an email ID to communicate with the developer. You are also advised by them to do a test demo for decryption by sending a non-essential file through email. The file gets decrypted in the demo for free and this serve as a proof that decryption key really works. Interestingly, the initial cost of ransom money is 980 USD however if you pay the money within 72 hours of encryption, the price gets reduced by 50% and it is only left to 490 USD.
You are asked to make communication at the earliest and in case if you don’t receive response in 6 hours, you should check the junk and spam email folder section. Unfortunately, it is true that without the help of decryption key and assistance by its developer, the decryption is impossible. Koti Ransomware uses a very sophisticated data encryption and there are a no bugs or flaws. Regardless, it is never advised to follow the steps recommended by the developer and nor should you fulfill their ransom demand.
It is very unlikely that cyber-criminals will fulfill their promises. Despite paying the ransom money, you will not get the decryption key as promised. So, first you should focus on removing Koti Ransomware so that it could not damage any files further. And most of all, it could not damage the files which you restore from the backup.
Ransom Note by Koti Ransomware
Don’t worry, you can return all your files!
All your files like photos, databases, documents and other important are encrypted with strongest encryption and unique key.
The only method of recovering files is to purchase decrypt tool and unique key for you.
This software will decrypt all your encrypted files.
What guarantees you have?
You can send one of your encrypted file from your PC and we decrypt it for free.
But we can decrypt only 1 file for free. File must not contain valuable information.
You can get and look video overview decrypt tool:
Price of private key and decrypt software is $980.
Discount 50% available if you contact us first 72 hours, that’s price for you is $490.
Please note that you’ll never restore your data without payment.
Check your e-mail “Spam” or “Junk” folder if you don’t get answer more than 6 hours.
To get this software you need write on our e-mail:
Reserve e-mail address to contact us:
Your personal ID:
How to Restore Data Damaged by .Koti File Virus
As claimed in the ransom note, you have to contact the developer by email: [email protected] or [email protected] and pay the ransom money in order to get decryption key in return. However, there is no guarantee that they will do their part of the deal. On the other hand, there is high probability that they provide noting and get scammed. They pretend like they don’t have any interest to trick you but this is not truth at least in many cases. There is not many reasons for them to send you the decryption key once they receive the money.
So, first of all, it is suggested to scan the work-station with a powerful anti-malware tool in order to halt its perilous activities. This dangerous malware also deletes the “Shadow Volume Copies” so that you would not be able to carry out the process to recover the locked files using “Shadow Volumes”. So the best way to access the locked files once again is to use the backup files which you have created prior to the ransomware attack in some external storage device. In case if any kind of backup files are not available then the only possible option left is to use a data recovery tool. They have features to recover files deleted and damaged by malware.
How Koti Ransomware Gets Inside the PC?
If your PC is targeted by cyber-criminals then they have multiple options to deliver the malware in your work-station. There are multiple ways which can be used to infiltrate the malware payloads, scripts and files silently. You may receive spam emails with unsafe attachments or hyperlinks. They are presented as if it is sent by some reputed company or organization. When you interact or click on the attachment, the malware gets triggered. Cyber-criminals uses special tools to exploit the system security vulnerabilities. Web sources such as peer-to-peer files sharing networks, unsafe websites offering cracking tools, pirated software etc. are also risky. In many cases, the cyber-criminals use the in-built Windows feature namely (Remote Desktop Protocol) to attack the PC with ransomware.
In order to remove Koti Ransomware, follow any of the two steps:
- Remove Koti Ransomware using “Safe Mode with Networking”
- Remove Koti Ransomware using “System Restore”
Remove Koti Ransomware using Safe Mode with Networking
Step 1: Restart the system in Safe Mode with Networking before you attempt to eliminate Koti Ransomware.
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > Ok
- Wait till the computer becomes active
- After the Windows screen appear, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see Advanced Boot Options Window
- Select Safe Mode Networking from the list
Windows 10/Windows 8
- Press the Power button on Windows login screen and then press and hold Shift button on the keyboard
- Then, click on Restart
- Now, Select Troubleshoot> Advanced options> Start up settings and finally press Restart
- When computer becomes active, click Enable Safe Mode with Networking in startup settings Window
Step 2: Remove Koti Ransomware
Login to the infected device, start the browser and download Spyhunter or other legit anti-virus program. Before performing system scan, update it and remove the malicious files belong to the ransomware and then complete the Koti Ransomware removal.
If the ransomware has blocked the Safe Mode with Networking, try further method.
Remove Koti Ransomware using System Restore
This feature offers the ability to restore the device to the previous state.
Step 1: Reboot the device with Safe Mode with Command Prompt
- Click Start> Shutdown > Restart >OK
- When system becomes active, press F8 button multiple times till Advanced Boot options Window appear
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10/Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen and then press and hold Shift button on the keyboard and click Restart
- Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings and finally press Restart
- Once the computer becomes active, select the Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup settings Window
Step 2: Restore the system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt Window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter
2. Now, type rstrui.exe and press Enter
3. In the opened Window, click “Next”
4. Select the zonal point that is prior the infiltration of Koti Ransomware. After doing this, click “Next”
5. Now click yes to Start System restore
Once you restore the system to the previous data, download and scan the device some reputable antivirus tool such as Spyhunter to ensure that Koti Ransomware removal is performed successfully.
You can use Windows Previous Version feature to restore the individual files that were affected. This method will be the effective one if the System Restore function was enabled on the compromised device.
Note that, some of the Koti Ransomware variants are known to delete Shadow Volume Copies of the files, and therefore, this method is not the sure shot for the data recovery.
SpyHunter is an anti-malware tool that scans the device for searching and identifying malware attacks, block malware, adware, spyware and other potentially unwanted applications. Its scanning algorithm and programming logics are continually updated and therefore it tactics the latest malware infections as well.
More about Spyhunter
SpyHunter is a very advanced scanning architecture. It features multi layered system scanner that helps it on detecting old as well as new viruses. It provides an option to customize the scans as well. Its other helpful feature includes the cloud based capability for detecting highly advanced and sophisticated malware and providing complete protection from it. It also offers the feature of scanning the particular drivers or folders, previous scan log view, manage the quarantined objects and also pick that objects that you wish to be excluded from the future scan.
The antivirus tool especially focused son taking quick action on the newly detected threats. Its real time blocking capability helps you to prevent the attacks, downloads and installation of any kinds of kinds and removing most aggressive malware. It has special feature to perform system booting in customized environment and remediate malware at the lower level of the system. Most importantly, Spyhunter scans the cookies that are possibly representing privacy issues.
Instructions to Download and Install the latest Spyhunter 5
- You can simply download Sphunter from link given below.
- After the download, you will see SpyHunter-Installer.exe file on the browsers at the bottom-left corner. Double-click on it to open it:
- Confirm With “Yes” on the User Account Control
- Choose the Preferred language
- Click Continue to precede the installation steps
- Now the installation process will begin. Wait, till the process is completed. It takes a few minutes
- Once the process is completed, you will see a Finish Click on it to complete the process of installation of the application.
Steps to perform System Scan using SpyHunter
- After the application installation, the SpyHunter 5 anti-malware tool will launch automatically. However, if it does not, then locate the SpyHunter icon on the desktop or click Start > Programs > Select SpyHunter.
- On the application page, you will find home tab on the left top corner. Click on it and select Start Scan Now button. The antivirus tool will then start the scanning for threats and system vulnerabilities
- The scanning results will show system errors, vulnerabilities and malware found, if any
Note: To continue and perform the detected threats, you require full product. Below, the step-by-step instruction to register for the SpyHunter is provided for you:
How to Register for SpyHunter
On the top right corner of the program window, there is a Register option. Click on it and follow the instructions
- Once you have registered, you will be provided Username and Password. Click on the Account Tab of the settings section and enter the provided username and password. Thereafter, you can avail the full feature of the app for your computer
- SpyHunter will provide the scanning results in a category wise such as Malware, PUPs, Privacy, Vulnerabilities and Whitelisted objects -as you see below
- Select the objects that you would like to remove and click the Next button
The selected objects will go SpyHunter’s Quarantine and so you can easily restore it anytime through Restore feature.
- To locate any object
Go to Malware/PC Scan tab and click on Quarantine tab
In this section, select the checkbox at the left of the object and click on the Restore button
- To perform removal of an object
Just select the object on the checkbox at the left displayed in the Malware PUPs or Privacy tabs. This allows you select and deselect all objects displayed on specific tab.
Steps to restore individual files
To restore a file, right click over it, go into the properties and select the previous version tab. If this file has the Restore Point, select it and click on Restore button
You should boot your device using a rescue disk, in case you are not able to start your device in Safe Mode with Networking (or with Command Prompt). For this you require access to another computer.
To gain control over the Koti Ransomware encrypted files, you can use a program called Shadow Explorer.
More on Shadow Explorer application
After installing this application, you will see the shortcut of it to the desktop in the start menu. Running this app does not require administrative privileges from version 0.5. But in certain circumstances, it can be helpful to run ShadowExplorer with elevated privileges -using right click, run as administrator.
- When you install the app as administrator, first thing you see is the user account control screen requesting administrator privileges
- This is the picture of the app when everything works correctly
- From the drop down list, select one of the available point in the time Shadow Copies
- You can export any file or folder by a right click on it
- Then, choose a folder where you want those files from t he Shadow Copy are saved to
- The image shows the status of the retrieval process
- The app may ask for your confirmation before overwriting in case if a file or folder in the destination directly already exists. Click on Do not show this dialog box, after this it won’t be shown ever again
- You will be given an reset the previous decision as well in the settings dialog
Important discussion: Now, you are familiar with ransomware and its impact on the infected PC. What we mean to say that the ransomware viruses are said to be deadly threats. And therefore, better for you to take adequate protection to avoid the attacks on your work station. For safety, you should use some reputable antivirus suite like Spyhunter that artificially implants the group policy objects into the registry to block rogue apps like Koti Ransomware.
Note that in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, you will get a unique feature called Controlled Folder Access that blocks ransomware attempts to encrypt the crucial files like Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music, Favorites and Desktop folders.
Thus, Windows 10 users should take this privilege and must install the update to protect their data ransomware attacks. To know more on how to get this update and add an additional protection layer from ransomware infection, click here.
How to recover the data encrypted by Koti Ransomware?
We have already discussed two important data recovery methods, i.e., the System Restore and Shadow Volume Copies. Hope so, these methods work in your case. However, if these options are not enough for you for the data recovery, you need to switch to another data recovery option that is use the data recovery tool. Such tools work on the basis of system scanning and recovery algorithm. They operate by searching the partitions to locate the original files (deleted, corrupted or damaged by the malware). Before using this option, certain things you should keep in mind:
- Do not re-install the Windows OS -this leads the previous copies permanently deleted
- Clean the work station from Koti Ransomware infection
- Leave the files as they are
Follow these instructions:
- Download the data recovery software in the Work-station from the link below
- Execute the installer by clicking on the downloaded files
3. You will see a license agreement page on the screen, click on Accept button to agree its terms to use and then follow the on-screen instruction and then click on Finish button
4. The programs executes automatically after the install. You just select the file types that you want to recover and click on the “Next” button
5. Select the drive on which you want the software to run, execute the recovery process and click on scan button
6. The restoration process begins soon you select the file types for scanning. The process may take times depending on the selected drive and number of files. Once this process gets completed, a preview for the data that are to be recovered appears on a data explorer screen. Here, select the files you want to restore.
7. After this, locate the locations where you want to save the recovered files